15HP Johnson - remote / stick steer conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oomph

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 15HP which currently setup as a tiller steer. I use it on an old 15ft Fisher Marine, which has a panfish seating layout, and I'm considering stick steer. Is my motor compatible with the remote controls to make stick steering possible?

If so, does anyone happen to know what part numbers to look for?

You didn't mention what year the motor is. If it is an older unit, I'd bet that the guys at the Antique Outboard site ( https://www.aomci.org/ ) could answer your question. richg99

You are going to need to do some fabricating of some items. I did remote steering and throttle but left shifting alone as it is reachable if i turn around and stretch some. Make sure you have a kill quickly accessible. The cable mounts can be found on ebay but cable assy and control center might need to be fabed. The pivot bolt is not hollow so cable/puley steering might be the option. I put my steering wheel on the right side instead of stick steer. Much easier in heavy seas to operate. I bought bulk teleflex cable and made my own throttle center and cable ends and mounts. Took a couple months during the winter to fab it all.

I think I posted a pic somewhere here of the boat that i converted. If you have fabrication experience and proper tools it just takes time. Do several weeks of investigation before setting on a plan.

The motor is a 1984

I'll post some pictures when I have some time.

Latest posts