Mercury 200 - 20HP Question:

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68rs327

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a tiller steer for my 16' Jon boat and have come across a 1966 Mercury 200 20HP outboard.
It's old, but seems to be well taken care off and hasn't been used in over 10 years.
Are these decent old motors?
Are Parts Available?
Pro's and Con's of these motors ?
What's a fair price on these motor?

Thanks,

I would like to hear your thoughts on the Mercury 200 - 20 HP motors?
Also, by the photos, can you tell if it is a short shaft or long shaft?

Yard stick, tape measure, folding ruler or other measuring devise will determine long or short.

10 years not running means carb clean and service. Water pump replacement and point service. Fuel pump and other service items will need to be done. I do these projects during off season to I will be less likely to hurry the job, giving a fun and safe next season.

If you are prone to just buying and running it at least do the water pump. If it does not run correctly after 20 min or so stop and diagnose the issue. Lean running is death if not corrected.

That motor if running right will give you a fast jon.

I sold my 75 model 3 years ago to upgrade to a 25hp. My motor was running perfect, but it was an opportunity to get more hp and make a profit at the same time. Sold it for $650. As far as I know the only difference in my 75 and your 66 is that mine had elect start and electronic ignition. Mine would start on second pull in the dead of winter and partial pull in summer. It was a good running motor and last I heard from the new owner, it was still running great. When I got mine it was literally in pieces. I went through it from top to bottom.

Latest posts