"Reasonable" outboard HP for a new boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinbad

Reaction score
Ok, so here's the situation. I'm seriously considering the purchase of a new Seaark 2472 boat. The manufacturer states this hull is rated for up to 300 HP. The boat will be used only on Maine's fresh water lakes for both fishing and mostly diving. I really don't want a 300 hp on this boat - I have no desire to set speed records. What's a reasonable amount of HP for this boat?

I used the HP calculator on this site and yes it indicated 300 HP is the maximum HP for this hull. That's way to much for my peace of mind.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

The calculator goes out the window on boats over 20' or so. You can do unlimited horsepower over that length if you so desire.
A 200-225 should push it well. Since what you will be doing 90% of the time is cruise you will never know the difference.

Anything under 200hp is going to be disappointing in a lot of ways. I've run an 1872 with a 200 and it was a 45mph boat. I thought it should have been faster, but it's a big HEAVY flat bottom per say, and isn't going to set the world (or the water) on fire, even with 300 hp I wouldn't expect more than say, 50mph.

Sea Ark's are great boats, but they are not light weight!

I had a 130 on mine and it did well. I kept it loaded fairly heavy and it was a 38-40 MPH boat WOT.

nccatfisher,

Thanks for your input. I've been leaning towards an outboard in the 150 HP range.

I guess Im ask backwards but one thing I have learned in over 40 years of boating. It takes a lot more pony power and oats to gain a little more speed. I try to figure out what HP I need to plain out with a heavy load and go with that. Im sure a 100 HP engine will plain that boat with the right prop and pitch. So Im thinking 125 to 150 HP four blade power prop pitched to max RPM at light load. Four blade hole shooter will pull her on plain quick and easy. Pitch must be maxed out at wot light load. The bigger engines just give you more gray area to make mistakes on sizing.

sinbad said:
nccatfisher,

Thanks for your input. I've been leaning towards an outboard in the 150 HP range.
It was a 4 stroke Yamaha and did an excellent job. I wasn't running salt water and busting heavy current and big waves but I was running large lakes with it.

I quite honestly never have been the type that was a WOT type of guy, I guess years of two strokes and seeing the fuel gauge just fall back programmed me but unless I was trying to outrun a rain storm I would run about 3/4 throttle and would be about 8 MPH off wide open and way off full fuel consumption with it.

If I were to buy another tomorrow I wouldn't hesitate to put exactly the same size motor on it again.

That was running with a 100 gal bait tank at times also. I have no idea how many people and load you are planning but feel that you will be completely happy in the 150 HP range.

Latest posts