New 4-stroke suggestions on a 1436

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The10Man

Reaction score
The last couple of motors I've had I bought used and I've probably spent more time and money trying to keep them running than I've actually spent on that water. In the last year or so I've gotten stuck out on the water twice and this weekend I wasn't even able to leave the ramp and get on the water. I've finally decided to bite the bullet and just buy a new motor so that I can spend more time on the water and have the reliability of starting when I need it to.

I have a 1436 that I use for fishing lakes, duck hunting, and may want to take out on the intracoastal to fish on calm days. I've do a fair amount of research and looked through a bunch of threads and right now I'm thinking of getting a 9.8 4-stroke Tohatsu. I originally was thinking of getting a larger engine as I thought I might upgrade to a larger 16 foot boat or a wider 14 footer in the future, but after more thought I've decided that my next boat (2-3 years from now) will be a larger fiberglass boat that I can go in bigger water and have more space for the family. The 9.8 should be enough power for two adults and gear, is very portable and the Tohatsu is less expensive than other brands and has 5 year warranty.

I'm most likely going to be buying online and having it shipped to me because the prices are better, there aren't any taxes and it's free shipping. This is a relatively large purchase and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or advice on any of this before I buy. I'm open to all feedback as I want to make sure I make the right decision before I shell out the money. Also, what is everyone's thoughts on electric start? It costs about $250 more and I'm considering it because my current motor has had a lot of issues with the rope start.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 9.8 tohatsu ran great i had it on my 64' 14 Ft V bottom boat and with 3 people,gear,gas, and a trolling motor with battery it ran about 10 miles and hour according to a phone gps. Don't know much about the electric start though.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Biggest outboard you are allowed to have on the 1436, unless you think it would be unstable
at anything over 10 mph, always nice to at least get on plane. I assume it is a jon boat. I know a few people
who are happy with their tiller tohatsu's.
Tim

Try giving Backwoods Landing a call/email to get a price quote on one. I got one a while back and they were considerably cheaper than everywhere else. Then use that price to see if you can get a price match from your local dealer. I'm thinking they quoted me something that was under $2100 out the door for and electric start one sometime last year

https://www.backwoodslanding.com/8-10HP.html

Glad to hear more positive feedback on the tohatsus. My boat is a flat bottom jon and it's rated up to 25 HP. I was originally thinking of buying a 20 horse but just don't know if I need that much of an engine. I've been running an 8 horse 2-stroke and haven't felt like I ever needed more speed. The 20 HP also costs about $1,000 more.

WMK thanks for suggesting backwoods. I've been to their site multiple times in the past to admire various boats but didn't even think to check them out when looking for an outboard. That price is about as good if not better than all the others I've found online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts