Starter issue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducknut

Reaction score
Hello all, I blew up my motor last winter. I purchased a new to me 1990 Eveinrude 50 hp. Thought I finally had all the kinks worked out of it till last week when putting the boat back on the trailer, the starter would turn but wouldn't rise to engage the flywheel. I put a spare starter (used) and it engaged but it stuck in the up position meshed with the flywheel. I removed that starter and installed a new one. Starter spun and rose to engage flywheel. It's now stuck in the up position meshed with the flywheel. I'm guessing it's a solenoid problem? Any insight before I throw more parts at it. Going to test the solenoid as soon as the thunderstorm passes. Thanks for any help.

It sounds to me like the starter pinion might be too close to the flywheel. They can sometimes get stuck in the flywheel if they don't have room to drop down. Try putting a thin washer between the starter flange and the crankcase on the upper bolt of the flywheel. It should move the starter away from the flywheel a bit. I had this same issue with an older 40hp Johnson.

You can usually unmesh these by turning the flywheel clockwise by hand. It should only take a couple of twists before the pinion drops down.

Good luck!

Tried the washers. It helped, but wouldn't allow the third bolt to line up. I found a large brass fitting was contacting the starter. It was angling the starter slightly. Adjusted the fitting and all is well. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts