Good motor for 12 foot v-hull Starcraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithert

Reaction score
My 66 Starcraft Sea Scamp has a Sears 7.5 hp outboard that I've never had good luck with in the 3 years I've had it. When it runs the most the boat will do is about 8 mph. For the last year it runs okay at home but won't run when I get it in the water. It's also a very noisy motor. What are some good options in motors for this type of boat? Will a lesser horsepower than a 7.5 work? I've used the old 30 lb thrust trolling motor it came with mixed results. It does move that boat at 2-3 mph but if there are jet skiers on the river it can't push through their wake. Would a newer trolling motor be any better, maybe one with 44 lb thrust? I like the idea of a trolling motor for cost and quietness. Seems that 7-10 hp motors are usually more than a couple hundred dollars for used ones.

Can't comment on trolling motors, as i don't use them. I also have a 12' tin I use in the salt, on backwaters and estuaries, and it wears an 8hp. Good for 1 or 2 tooling around, but I wish I had held out for a 9.9hp. So for gas motors, I personally wouldn't go below the 8hp range ...

Latest posts