1993 Johnson 15 hp outboard steering bracket bolts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobby_bates

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Took the boat out this evening, and noticed the upper portion of the outboard being pulled away from the transom while under power. Upon further inspection, I found that the upper steering bracket bolts are no longer connected, and in fact are missing altogether. Where did they go, into the bottom portion of the midsection; and if so how would I go about getting them out? I can send pics tomorrow, when the sun comes up.

Are you talking about the two screws that go from the steering bracket into the swivel bracket? They go in vertically? p/n 317624?

Edit....Am thinking you mean the upper mount bolts as I have never seen nor heard of the steering bracket bolts shearing, pulling or backing out.

Hey Pappy,

They are part #7 (0340062) on the Exhaust Housing Parts for 1993 Johnson 15 hp J15RETB Outboard Motor. Both bolts sheared off. Luckily, the engineers put those bolts inside a fully contained mount assembly, which prevented the bolts from falling into the lower part of the mid-section. They are 1/4 x 20 (thread) x 3" bolts. I had to get those bolts out (faily easy to do), but I did have to take the steering bracket to a tool and die place and have the broken pieces extracted. They came out pretty easily as well, so no need to tap the treads at all. Here are a couple of pics to help explain.

Attachments

• 20160823_085741_resized.jpg
    20160823_085741_resized.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 593
  • 20160823_085754_resized.jpg
    20160823_085754_resized.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 593
Also Pappy, you are the third person to tell me that they never heard of these bolts shearing off on a small outboard. Normally , on larger outboards, they will shear if you hit something submerged at a high speed. The only thing I did recently was take this boat to GA to see Dawson at Fish On Fabrications. It's a long trip from KY, so I assume it happened somewhere along the road. I do have a transome saver, and use it all the time. The roads toward GA were in rough shape, and I did hit a few potholes pretty hard, so that's the only thing I can come up with.

bobby_bates said:
Also Pappy, you are the third person to tell me that they never heard of these bolts shearing off on a small outboard. Normally , on larger outboards, they will shear if you hit something submerged at a high speed. The only thing I did recently was take this boat to GA to see Dawson at Fish On Fabrications. It's a long trip from KY, so I assume it happened somewhere along the road. I do have a transome saver, and use it all the time. The roads toward GA were in rough shape, and I did hit a few potholes pretty hard, so that's the only thing I can come up with.

Never said anything about not having seen upper mount bolts shearing. Read my post again. You stated steering bracket bolts. BIGGG difference! At any rate looks like you already have everything under control.

Motor is fixed now. This was a bit easier than it originally looked. Thanks fort he input Pappy, sorry I got the names wrong. I'll look at the actual parts diagram first, then post.

Latest posts