1969 Evinrude 25HP Recoil Spring...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGibson

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on replacing the pull rope recoil spring on a 1969 Evinrude 25HP? I would like to do it myself and I've heard it's a job...

I have watched some utube videos on repairing recoil starters for lawn mowers and small motors.
They might help.

I have watched a few but the way mine is made, they don't really help, unless you know of one I missed. Bout the only thing I have found is how to rewind them...thanks for the reply tho.

Found your thread. It looks exactly like mine. I'll give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Thanks

That was easy. Wish I would have thought and videoed it. I may take it back apart and do it again so I can get it on video for others to watch

Took my motor for a spin yesterday on my sons boat. After about 3 pulls on the rope, the rope came out and stayed out...I got the motor back home and took the recoil housing back off again and the Inside portion of the spring has been bent almost together (I'll try to get some pics in a few). It was still attached and coiled tight. Maybe we got it too tight?

IMG_20161005_095849_617_zpssd8b2bfr.jpg

It was the old one, I bent the end trying to reuse it...guess that wasn't a good idea. Ill be getting a new one soon.

Latest posts