Long or Short?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaarc

Reaction score
Long shaft motor or short shaft motor, how do you know which one you can use? I have a 1448 Seaarc and want to put a 20 or 25 hp motor on it with stearing controls. Does it mater if it's a long or short shaft motor?

Thanks
Dave

Measure your transom...if it's 15 inches it a short shaft
if it's 20 inches it's a long shaft
You can use a long shaft motor on a smaller transom but it will be in the water a long ways,or you can make or get a jack plate...take a look at heavy-chevy's.

I just looked at Heavy chevy's boat. Is that for real? I always thought it was meant to be a joke. No offense Heavy chevy. What are trim tabs anyway?

Dave

Heavy chevies boat is for real. A bit extreme, but definitely for real. :lol:

What is your transom height Dave? That will determine it. Those lengths aren't there just to fill up lettering space on the box ya know......

Why are you asking about trim tabs? They are tabs that mount to the transom, at the bottom of the hull. They have a little hydraulic cylinder (usually, some have electric solenoids) that will raise and lower them at the press of a button. Since they are hinged at the hull bottom, when lowered, they push down into the water, lifting the boats transom when at speed. Very similar to an airplane's ailerons.

Now, smart tabs are an even better choice for many smaller and medium pleasure boats and fishing boats. They have a gas cylinder, as opposed to hydraulic, so they will self lower. However, when the boat speed picks up a lot, the drag of the water will push them up, as they aren't always needed at high speed. Google them both, and you will get a better mental picture than what I am describing.

The transom length is 15 3/4 measured on the outside, and the transom is inbetween the two cavitation plates on my current motor. I guess this means I have a short shaft motor and that's what I need to look for in a 20 or 25 hp to replace it?

I was asking about trim tabs because I saw where Heavy chevy said he made his own trim tabs and I did not know what they were and what they did. I did google them like you suggested and now i know. I have never seen them on a little tin boat like we have though.

Now the next question is when I find a motor how will I know for sure if it is a long or short shaft?

Thanks for all the help guys

Dave