Water pump kit installation ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktoelke54

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1984 15 hp Johnson. The motor was in excellent overall condition but I was uncertain of the condition of the water pump/impeller so I made replacing it one of my first projects. All went smooth except for the little O-ring that goes on the top of the shaft, a couple inches down from the splines that mate with the power head. I noticed when disassembling, that there was no O-ring present. I put the O-ring, included in kit, on the shaft and attempted to reassemble. No amount of coaxing would get it to mate with the power head. It seemed stuck at the O-ring. So reasoning that it wasn't present when I took it apart, I removed it, and the shaft slid into the power head no problem.

So that was a long winded preamble for a simple question--how important iOS that little bugger?

That little in detention in the shaft just below the spline is where it goes, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks DaleH, this answers my question, I greased the shaft before I re installed it, I should be covered. And I wonder if the reason it wouldn't go in with the o ring on the shaft, is that a o ring was already present internally?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts