Need advice to fix 9.8 Carburator.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

63Monark

Reaction score
I broke a black piece on my throttle/choke when I got in a rush I can't seem to find a replacement for it so I can either try to glue or epoxy it or buy a new carb no dealer can help me and only told me to buy a new carb. Please let me know what you .
899437c4c870faac6183274dae57ecf4.jpg
5a59edca3ad654eb914668e2dc8c9854.jpg

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

oh wow - been there done that !!
first of all, please tell us what the carb goes to.
year, model, and P/N of the carb body itself.
and - how much does a replacement carb cost ?

Option:
in my world, I would find a piece of soft aluminum the thickness of the black plastic bracket ........
you could build a duplicate with minimum tools, a little skill and a lot of time.
(plus, you would gain the self satisfaction knowing that YOU fixed it yourself - from scratch).
and yes, you could use plexiglass or other plastic . . . but, it may just break again.
In my past experience, I have had zero success with adhesives and epoxies on that type of plastic.
bracket.jpg
the "rub" would be getting the black bracket off in one piece and figure out how
to install the new aluminum replacement and keep it from falling off.
For instance: when you grind off the flat head that holds it on, you need
to find a small tap and thread the inside to like a #4 or 6 size screw to hold it secure.
-or- maybe drill it out completely and run the holding screw all the way through the body.
IF you decide to go that route, be careful not to cause more damage to it
so that you can glue it back together and use it as a template for the new one.
Even if you DO find a replacement bracket, you have to go through the process of
getting the old one off and the new one securely on.

but in the meantime, keep looking for a donor carb with some usable parts.
stroll on over to https://www.aomci.org and post the same issue in the "ask a member" section.
tons of good information, ideas and very talented people there !!!

good luck - let us know how it goes.

Johnny asked the right questions. You will not get far without knowing and giving the correct year and model of the engine.
There were a ton of these engines built and sold. That bracket is probably pretty easy to source. One place I would urge you to visit would be
www.aomci.org then to the ask a member section or the classifieds and put a want ad in there. That group is the foremost authority on antique and vintage outboards and can probably help. Of course....ebay is a decent source as well.

If all else fails:

https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|311|2349106&id=1829752

It appears that part is considered "carburetor" but I bet with a little effort you could find a donor part online...

The carb goes to a 2004 tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke. I went to 2 local shops and all they told me was to buy a replacement carb for $248. I may try to create one myself like he said above.

you might get lucky and find a Nissan equivalent on ebay ... this has good diagrams of other parts you might need:

https://www.starmarineinc.com/sites/starmarine/files/catalogs/Parts_Catalog_NSF8A2-9.8A2___2004__-__002N21051-1_.pdf

Ok I tried finding parts for this motor but the model number is a mfs 9.8a made in 2004 but the only models I can find on parts websites in 2004 is the mfs9.8a2 I was gonna order the carb on defender.com but the parts numbers don't match anyone have any idea?

63Monark said:
Ok I tried finding parts for this motor but the model number is a mfs 9.8a made in 2004 but the only models I can find on parts websites in 2004 is the mfs9.8a2 I was gonna order the carb on defender.com but the parts numbers don't match anyone have any idea?

find the part number stamped on the carb... see if it matches the number they give on the defender site:

•Replacement For Carburetors stamped 3V2FB

before you buy it there do a few google searches with that number... you might be surprised what's on ebay..etc.

Shaugh said:
63Monark said:

find the part number stamped on the carb... see if it matches the number they give on the defender site:

•Replacement For Carburetors stamped 3V2FB

before you buy it there do a few google searches with that number... you might be surprised what's on ebay..etc.
Mine is 3V2F A and it brings up nothing I guess ill call tohatsu tommarow

If anyone else found this thread via search, like I did... Yeah I know it's 4 years later, but this thread comes up as a good hit.
Inexpensive Chinese carbs on eBay can be a source of parts as well. $55 for a supposedly compatible carb. If all you need is a plastic part, it could solve the problem at a reasonable cost.

I recently got a roughly 2008 Nissan version of the Tohatsu 9.8A3, courtesy of OfferUp. It seems to run well, but has issues at idle, it wants to die. So I figure if in doubt, rebuild or replace the carb. I plan to use a Chinese knockoff carb to run on while rebuilding the factory carb, and just to learn more about carbs for this motor in general. I'll be sure to update with my experiences with the Chinese carb and rebuilding my factory carb.

These days, 4 years later, you can find a made-in-China carb on eBay for around $50-60 that would be an option for scrounging parts off of. As long as you don't mind 2-3 weeks delivery time. I was going to order this one, for my Nissan 9.8A3, for around $55 https://www.ebay.com/itm/323988430963
But I decided to go with this one, from Amazon, for a bit more, $90 due to timing requirements. It's probably the same carb, made in the same factory in China, as the $55 one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J655KLP

Latest posts