Power tilt and trim: worth it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L Kenney

Reaction score
I'm putting a long shaft tiller steer 20 hp motor on my 14 ft Klamath with 20" transom. I want electric start largely so my wife can start it easily, but I'm waffling on power tilt and trim. It's partially an issue of weight, though the Suzuki I'll be buying would be lighter or as light with power tilt than comparable motors without it. But it will cost me about $350 more than a motor with just electric start. Is it worth the extra money or am I simply buying unneeded convenience and something else to go wrong?

I want power tilt & trim for my 14' for getting through skinny water & for tweaking the motor for maximum speed for making long treks up & down stream.

Though I want to use a secondary power tilt & trim setup (like a panther or CMC) so I still have the breakaway safety function in my current transom clamp should it ever bottom out or hit a log - you would not have this ability with a factory tilt/trim & turnkey setups will run you double your $350 add-on cost.

Not really answering the worth-it question, just more food for thought I guess.

If you've had boats for Long enough you'll realize that 350 up front is well worth it in the end. If I add up all the stuff I spent money on and ripped of if be happy if it was only 350. You'll never regret ptt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

power tilt and trim was a deal breaker for me.i'd have a new e tec if they came with pt/t in a 25 short shaft.so i have a new tohatsu with pt/t and electric start and i looove it.weight is a non issue.we're talking about a couple pounds.

When I was a kid I had a 15 Johnson on a tin boat, once I found out I was trimmed down and moved her out 1 notch h and got better handeling I mover her out another notch and got more speed, moved her pin all the way out and had to give it gas and run forward to get her to plane, but got more MPH yet again.

As a kid you don't mind lunging forward and sitting back again, as an adult I'd go with the PTT in a second.

The decision was made for me. My wife wants power trim, so power trim it is. And I agree with Catch Release Repeat that, a couple of years down the road, I won't think twice about the extra money.

a couple of years down the road, I won't think twice about the extra money.

oh no sir !!!

after two hours of boating and getting the motor dialed in,
you turn to your lovely wife and say - - - OHHHHH YEAH !! BOO-YA !!!! and share a knuckle bump

NOT two years down the road !!

happy and safe boating !!!

Latest posts