Mariner tiller Steer 25hp wont start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Givey1982

Reaction score
My 1996 Mariner 25 cranks but will not start. The emergency kill switch is down which indicates it is not on. I am thinking that my Stop switch located at the end of the tiller handle may be bad. Is there a way to pull that tiller apart and replace the switch? It is a 1996. Has anyone else experienced these going bad?

I just sold this same motor last month. The kill switch should be in the up position in order for the motor to start. Once the kill rope is pulled, it flips the lever down and shuts off the motor.

8c767213273703a42c06dc9ada948c6a.jpg

If the switch is down( off position) it will prevent spark therefore alow the engine to spin but not ignite the fuel. You can remove a plug to check for spark but wipe it down first to be sure there is not any fuel on it.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

Thanks to everyone. I am guessing that I had the switch down. My motor has no label and I did try both positions at first but I believe I flooded the engine. After I let it sit a while I believe I only had the switch in the down position. I will check in a few days when I return home.

Thanks again.

You guys were correct it was the stupid switch. :evil:

The only worst than being stupid is posting a wuestion to a forum and provijg it!

Ultimately glad it was that simple

Thanks a lot

Weve all done it bud. Better than taking it to your mechanic and him being dishonest and replacing stuff when the answer was as simple as a switch in the wrong position.

Wyatt said:
Weve all done it bud. Better than taking it to your mechanic and him being dishonest and replacing stuff when the answer was as simple as a switch in the wrong position.

Very true
Thanks

Latest posts