15HP 2-stroke equivalent in 4-stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PATRIOT

Reaction score
Anyone with first hand knowledge please respond.
I'm currently running a 85 pound 15HP 2-stroke 250cc that pushes me along at 22mph and gets 7mpg.
What flavor 4-stroke would do the same speedwise?

This is just my opinion but I'm thinking a 20 HP will get you the same or better top end and better MPG, depending on how old that 2S is of course.

A 15 4S might get you close in the speed and better MPG, again, if your 2S is newer maybe not so much in the MPG's will be different and you'll see more in the higher rpm range.

Check out the Suzuki or Tohatsu 4s', one of those make the lightest 4s on the market.

Had a yamaha 15hp 4 stroke that I bought as a re-seller, 23.7 mph, no wind, no current, 93°F, 81° dewpoint at the time of testing. Factory 9x10 prop, turning 5960 RPM. Little heavy but it runs almost identical to a 15hp 2 stroke, right down to the time-to-plane. I had a video at one point, might be on this site. BTW, that motor was mounted on a 1548 war eagle, on the transom (no lift no PT&T and no jack plate). Hull weight 353 lbs. Trolling motor weighs about 55 lbs. Battery 39 lbs. Me 200 lbs. 2 seats about 30 lbs roughly. Tackle box about 25 lbs. 2 rods 5 lbs. Wiring probably 10 lbs.

I was tickled with it. I guessed around 13 mpg at cruising RPM and speed with that boat. I did not keep it long enough to really do a measurable MPG test.

Someone on here did a review of the Suzuki EFI 20hp, I was not impressed with the review. I don't have a lot of experience with suzuki, other than dealers must be harder to find if/when you need them for warranty service. I get the call pretty often, coupe 3 times a week on average-looking for a service center for Suzuki.

Latest posts