Evinride 25 HP, Electric start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavahoJoe

Reaction score
New member here, NavahoJoe. This question has probaly been beat to death, but? :) I traded for an Evinride 25 HP, 1970, tiller steer. Cranks and runs good in the barrel. My motor model, 25002E, has a toothed fly wheel and mounting bracket for an electric starter. No starter, no starter relay and no wiring harness. Would this motor orginally have been electric start or did the factory ship them out like that, with electric start to be added by dealer? And since it is a toothed fly wheel, would flywheel have to be changed to add electric start? Thanks for any and all answers.
NavahoJoe

I believe all the 1970's Evinrude and Johnson motors use the same fly wheel on the 15-25 hp models and if you order the starter bracket, starter, and a solenoid you could make you pull start an electric start. You will have to make a wiring harness for the electric start the pigtail harness is no longer available. I looked for one for my motor and had no success finding one so I repaired my harness.

redneckand proud, thanks for your thoughts. So, you think that the flywheel is the same for both the pull start and electric stat on this particular evinrude motor? I have searched the web over, seeking an answer on that question. Since I didnt have any numbers for an electric start 25 hp evinrude, i was literally, stumped. Thanks again, I will search for the necessary componets, starter, solenoid and any necessary mounting brackets for same. I can build my own wiring harness. After reaching 70 years, the 25 hp is a bit much for me to crank. :roll:
NavahoJoe

Anyone have suggestions as to a good, reliable establishment from which to order starter and solenoid for above 25002E evinrude motor? I found a couple of places but, not being in the custom of ordering motor parts, have no idea as who to order parts from.
Thanks
NavahoJoe

The model number on my motor is 25E73. This should help you narrow down the part you need. Here is the link i got to for info on my motor

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1973&hp=25&model=25E73A

I have had good luck ordering parts from ebay. Just make sure you check out the seller and make sure they are in the US or it takes a long time to get parts. I have made this mistake before on some electronics it was alot cheaper from china but it took 45 days to recieve it it was stuck in customs for a few days.

Here's a link to Marinengine for your motor.
https://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1970&hp=25&model=25002E

I had some work done on an 15 hp Johnson motor at Nu Legend Boats in Corbin, Ky. (606) 523-2593 They had a complete electric start kit in a box for around $200 but never determined if it would work on my motor before I picked it up. Might be worth a call

Thanks everyone that replied. I appreciate the info that has been made available from the members on this forum. You are great people.
NavahoJoe

Latest posts