1985 evinrude 30 hp issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangle

Reaction score
I've got a 1985 Evinrude 30 h.p., has 120 compression on both cylinders and spark from both plugs, but will not start. i have checked all fuel lines and i am getting fuel. i even sprayed starting fluid into spark plug hole and still no fire, all i have gotten is a backfire. could it be that my motor has got out of timing? If not what could be the cause of my issue? thanks for any advice, i am stumped

A backfire indicates the engine is out of time.
Several issues/mistakes can create this. First off check the orange leads going from the power pack to the ignition coils. Make sure the one with the blue stripe goes to the top coil. Make sure your coil secondary leads are not backwards. Third, you may have sheared a key on the crank that locates the flywheel.
But first - Have you squirted fuel/oil down the carb to make sure you have fuel? You aren't really checking much by "checking the lines". On that engine you can loosen or remove the bowl screw at the bottom of the bowl and check to make sure the needle/seat is functioning at least (by pumping the bulb and watching fuel flow) but you still cannot check to make sure the idle passages in the carb are clear by "checking the lines".

Latest posts