1985 Evinrude 2hp E2RCOC slow oil leak

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkfoot

Reaction score
Broke the skeg on my 1985 Evinrude 2hp E2RCOC. Didn't look to bad at first but it has obviously affected the lower unit oil seal as it now drips oil. Any MacGyver fixes? I can buy the new lower unit housing for around $120 but I don't really want to be leaking oil everywhere. Use mainly on my pontoon boat and my 16 foot jet jon as a kicker.

I would use devcon 10610. You mix it like JB weld but it has aluminium shavings in it to make it stronger you can machine it and tap it. it's temp strength and shear strength is the same as aluminum. I know it's not cheap but it will last longer than. A little goes a long way it has a really long shelf life as long as it's closed up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I didn't use it to stop anything that leaked, but I once had a chunk of powerhead break off, the projection that secured the starter. Had to pull start the OB for a while ...

I cleaned it well and put a big blob of marine-tex there, then drilled and tapped it for the bolt. Son of a gun worked!

Sounds like the housing ID that seal fits into has been knocked to an oval shape. Maybe try a new seal, they are pretty cheap. If that doesn't work, you my have to get a new lwr unit, or a 5 gallon jug of oil. Maybe keep an eye on ebay for a parted out lwr unit.

How about a picture of your jet jon?

I have a JJ with a '48 2.5hp Johnson for the kicker, sounds similar to your boat. I used a cheapo drop-down aux mount, seems to be OK.