What's my small outboard up to?? 6hp 1977 johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekdiruz

Reaction score
I have a 6hp johnson, mid 70s. Pull start, basic 2 stroke outboard. I'm actually the (recent) second owner of this, and the original took very good care of it. However, it sat mainly the past 5 years, with only 5 or so uses annually since the purchase of a larger boat by him. In purchasing, he gave me a carb rebuild kit, and we replaced the lower unit oil.

I've run this motor quite a bit since purchasing 6 months ago, say, every weekend or so. But, what all should I be doing to this motor to ensure that it stays in great shape and I get the most from it?

I intend to change the spark plugs, and rebuild the carb only as needed, but I'm new to outboards and don't have any experience at all with them. Is there anything else that should be done prior to duck season starting (in northeast Ohio)?

Also, the main concern I have for the motor is that when I pull start it, it has become slightly sluggish in rewinding the pull cord. It also is making a god awful whining noise when it retracts. Is there something I can simply grease up that will fix this?

Thanks all.

Here's a video on doing the recoil (should be the same for yours) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmCm4PD_E9Y

Latest posts