advice needed for a boating rookie!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandpasboat88

Reaction score
hey guys! ive just recently inherited my Grand fathers old 50s era duracraft aluminum speed boat that hasnt seen water since the 60s. it came with an awesome 1957? rde 19 m johnson outboard motor. its been in the basement for close 50 years and only has about 30 hours on it im told and I believe it judging by how new the motor looks. now im a total rookie when it comes to boats I am a car guys but my goal is to restore this thing to period correct appearance and have it on the water as tribute to my grandpa. first thing i need to tackle is going through the motor and seeing if i can get it running and i was wondering where i should start and any good info and tips on this motor any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 14440623_10100517958215089_5556886791580040956_n.jpg
    14440623_10100517958215089_5556886791580040956_n.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 466
Although I can guide you through it pretty easily here I would suggest you get the bulk of your engine information through https://www.aomci.org in the ask a member section.
What I can tell you is that you will need the following parts to do it right. Carb kit, Ignition tune-up kit, two ignition coils, 2 spark plug boots, probably a complete water pump kit although you may get away with just an impeller. Prop will probably have to be re-hubbed at this point, gear oil change and possible shift shaft O-ring change as well.
Do NOT purchase aftermarket. The aftermarket carb kits are not complete, Sierra points sets do not line up, Sierra water pump impellers often do not fit, etc. Well worth it for peace of mind to purchase OEM. Marineengine.com will have the parts.

welcome aboard !!!
looking forward to seeing a photo of the motor after you get it out.
Hopefully, all the outside cosmetic stuff is in good shape.
Like Pappy said, there are still many OEM parts available if needed.
what you have there is a true "Barn Find" !!
good luck in your journey!

edit: I had a similar experience with my RDE-19C.
a young man inheited his grandfathers boat and motor
that had not been run in many years..... not being his
style of boating, he parted out the rig and I bought the
motor alone (without the controls) and the seller showed
me that it did in fact run in a barrel and the impeller worked.
I got it for $200.00. but with a recent domestic move, I have
not had time to go through all the intricates that make for a trustworthy
motor..... I did overhaul the lower unit and that was a piece of cake (thanks to Pappy).
there are many fine examples of restored Sea Horses on the interweb
for when you get ready to paint it.
Visit the Antique Outboard Motor Club when you have time. Lots of good articles there.