Broke my skeg off

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. I know where I broke it off though. I could go back and look, it's shallow enough. Long shot though, I seriously doubt I'll get that lucky.

cde33f93bfb1d10aadebf0374366fd95.jpg
you can pick one of the Scagg covers it's stainless steel you have enough there to boat on to it really works well. They are usually less than $100

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used one of those clamp-on skegs for a number of years. Worked fine.

Here is a good video on having it welded if you prefer that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVS6qfveLG4

richg99

I owned a motor that had had the skeg broken off before. They cut the remainder smooth, then welded another piece of thick aluminum to it. Then they ground the shape and thickness to match. Looked fine and you really had to look pretty close to tell it wasn't factory. Motor performed normal.

We have welded up a few hundred of them over the years for the boat repair shop next door to our shop,, much like the video Rich posted, we always used wet rags to keep the gear housing cool,,, now they have a heat stop paste that works really really GOOD!! https://www.eastwood.com/coldshield-thermal-paste.html?fee=7&fep=2404&SRCCODE=PLA00020&product_id=13904&adpos=1o1&creative=83580267540&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CIfNqKSh0tACFYVgfgodlroPgA ,,, mite get some for yourself for pieace of mined and have your welder use it,,,, dont think you would have much to worry about not useing it, your break is not that close to the houseing,, just have them make sure its cooled during the welding, we always welded half of one side then cooled it off the fliped it welded the other side half way the cool and flip finished the other side cool and flip finished and cool,,,, no real need to remove the lower unit unless the welder cant get the boat close enough to his machine,,,, shouldnt take someone much more then a half hour to do one,,, if you were to bring it into our shop would charge $50

Saw a pic of a Macs river runner prop guard hanging on it?? and it still broke????,, always wondered how they work,,, how did the prop fair???

My old motor broke in the same place.
My fix from a re-purposed stainless steel toaster oven.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 889
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 889
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 889
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 889
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 889
Prop is ok, the guard probably saved it.

Rocks and wide open throttle don't mix...

I'll find a good aluminum fabricator.