I need some help with an Evinrude 8hp Outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 21876

Reaction score
I bought this motor and it has been a sitting awhile. I was originally told that it was a few yrs, now I found out that it was more like 20+, since about '93 or '94. I have purchased the original Evinrude carb kit and fuel pump kit, but I have never been in a marine 2 stroke carb. I have torn a ton of quadrajets apart when I was a mechanic yrs ago (25+).

What special tools do I need if any? I would also appreciate any tips you can provide as well.

Thanks and I hope everyone had a great Christmas!

Darryle

Rebuilding a carb is super simple. Some Seafoam is handy for cleaning parts. Take some pics with your phone as you disassemble just in case you make a mistake. Lay all the pieces out on clean paper towel in the order they came off. I have a Clymer manual for OMC motors 2-40hp 1973 to 1990 if you need me to scan the relevant page. Bet anything you like you could find a YouTube video of the relevant rebuild. If you have a compressor it can be handy for blowing out all the relevant passageways. No special tools needed.

Got all that, compressor and Sea Foam, where can I find the Clymer manual?

What about the flat plugs, how can I get them out?

I like to drill a 1/8th hole in the center, screw in a longish sheet metal screw, bend it up and down and left and right till it pops out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Welcome Aboard Darryl and WalI.

E-Bay and Amazon is the go-to place for most outboard and boating projects.
manuals are readily available a lot of places on line. The name brand Clymer is just one of many.
look for the carb repair kit that includes the replacement plugs and lead balls.
also, https://www.marineengine.com will have all the schematics and part numbers for your motor for free.
and they have several kits for the water pump and carb at reasonable prices.
If you have any experience with the Sierra brand, you will already know that their parts don't fit 100% all the time.
and like Mr. Stinkfoot says - YouTube has several good videos on how to overhaul a carb.

Thanks for the tips and the welcome. I really want to get this thing going if possible and ready for spring crappie

It is a 1985 model for sure

572e1c4d1bc0d5602de6959f1d322c25.jpg

I would appreciate it. I am going to tear into tomorrow, it was 85° today but I was busy with honey do's, new microwave install, rev-a-shelf kits and false decks on top of the cabinets for all her antique pitchers.

Thanks Darryle

Interesting, made in Belgium. My dad was stationed in Mons. Will scan the relevant pages tomorrow. Maybe PM me your email address.