What Happened To My Fuel Line?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rumblejohn

Reaction score
Finally got around to installing my fuel water separator. When I opened up the fuel lines I found hard plastic like debris fouling every fitting. It looks like it may have been a lining in the hose that got hard as a rock. It was the original line supplied by the dealer in 2013, has never had ethanol in the tank. I know I need to replace the hose, any one has a recommendation as to what and where to buy? Motor is a 2013 30hp EFI four stroke Merc.

Thanks,

John

What do you use for tanks? Maybe a tank was old or had been used w/ ethanol fuels. Then again, you could have been using unlabeled fuels w/ ethanol in them, as that sounds like fuel line deterioration ...

DaleH said:
What do you use for tanks? Maybe a tank was old or had been used w/ ethanol fuels. Then again, you could have been using unlabeled fuels w/ ethanol in them, as that sounds like fuel line deterioration ...

Fuel tank is 6gal same age as the motor, and looks clean inside. The hose is gray, and had the spec numbers on it until I washed the mildew off and they left with it. The fuel came from WAWA, and so far found no trash or water in it. The only thing different that I have doing is using a Bell fuel additive that my Mercury service tech highly recommended as a stabilizer. Highly suspect that the mystery substance is the vapor barrier turned to stone. When I blew out the hoses and fittings the bits and pieces were hard enough to draw blood when I tried to catch them! Took the primer bulb apart, and it looks okay now that I have the chunks out of it. Checked the usual parts suppliers and they don't post the specs online. Guess I will have to go door to door and see if it makes the j1527 rating to keep the USCG happy.

J

The blue fuel hose is the best from Mercury. Any dealer sales it by the foot. But Napa sales one that is just as good. Just ask for the one made for ethanol. If it's black or blue your good. If gray pass on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny said:
This is a photo that Pappy posted on another forum, (actual photographer unknown....)
but, the damage is obvious. NAPA and other auto stores carry the SAE J1527 compliant fuel lines.

The local Sanford NAPA looked at me like I needed counseling when I asked for J1527 compliant hose. Not as much farming and industry in Seminole and West Volusia. I'm sure I would have had more success in Orlando or Daytona. Ahoy Marine in Sanford hooked me up with Marpac J1527 at a reasonable price.
Hope it lasts longer than the original. He said he has been seeing a lot of problem with fuel lines..........go figure. That photo looks like what I had hard as a rock!

John

it seems like "3 years" is the magic numbers in Florida.
a 5 year car battery lasts only 3 years
10 year fuel lines lasts only 3 years.

so when I see someone asking about what to do on a motor
or gas tank that has been sitting 3 years or more - - - REPLACE EVERYTHING that is fuel related. !!!
several years ago, I beat myself up pretty bad trying to figure out
fuel delivery issues....... only after replacing everything from tank to carb did I learn that lesson.

hope you have good luck with the new fuel lines !!

With the medium and heavy trucks, I used PH Push-Lok, or Aero-quip for just about everything, and it would last for years. Sure am glad the government saved us.

J

Latest posts