BRP parts rant

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowgrn4

Reaction score
How come BRP will sell me a brand new Tilt and Trim unit for $1,400 but the 2 problematic little plastic poppet check valves (#0335134) used in the up and down valve circuits have been "Discontinued" or they are "Unavailable"? I call BS! There are 2 of them in the new unit you want to sell me for $1400 so they are obviously not "Discontinued" or "Unavailable".

Now I have to blow $80 for 2 CNC'ed alloy reproductions on ebay. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Unless the unit was full of water I have not seen any poppet valve failures in the last ten years or so. Seals yes. They are apparently not as problematic as it may seem.
Secondly, if it is the single ram system that unit is made up in Canada by Teleflex. Teleflex needs to see a demand on that part by BRP. Once again, no demand no need to stock them as service parts. Parts sitting on shelves either at the manufacturer of the part or at BRP cost money and in this day and time that will not happen.
Good that you are able to duplicate the parts though.

The tip was broken off on the poppet on the front of the unit next to the release valve and the motor would creep down from highest setting to lowest in about 15 minutes. Deven at 5 Star marine has them reproduced in alloy on a CNC https://www.ebay.com/itm/Evinrude-J...ash=item2a74a84899:g:FfkAAOSwiONYLgGB&vxp=mtr

Holy Moley, $40 apiece. :shock:

I have the factory Manual, spanner and plenty of time so I'm gonna give it a rebuild as soon as parts show up.

One of the tabs was broken off of the release valve. I had to drill it out and use a heat gun and EZout to remove it. I re drilled and tapped the hole for a stainless 5/16"-18 pitch half inch long Allen head bolt and epoxied the bolt in. Then after it cured I had to re drill the diagonal 1/16" orifice at the top. Saved me over $100, like I said, I have plenty of time to piddle around with stuff.

Tried it out at the fishcamp this weekend. Worked great after I topped off the fluid 3 times. :oops: