Short vs Long Shaft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khanderton

Reaction score
I currently have a 1975 McKee Craft Pirate (10') w/ a 1975 Johnson 25.
I'm getting to the point where I would like to upgrade motor to a new Suzuki 25/30 w/ remote controls, power tilt/trim. The Suzuki 25 is offered with 15/20" shaft options, but the 30 is only offered with 20".
The transom is set for 15" shaft. My current Johnson's av plate is about 2" below the keel. I would like to raise the new motor with a jack plate. My questions are.

1. Are there issues using a 20" shaft on a short transom?

2. Do you think I'll notice a big difference between the Suzuki 25 vs Suzuki 30?

Pictured is the boat before I installed remote steer.
2ea60161ef7e0d6ffb3fe626d774b861.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20-inch shaft on a 15-inch transom means that you will have too much motor in the water at all times. You will get poor performance and many not even be able to get up on plane.

You either need a short shaft motor, or you will have to raise the transom a lot.

A jack plate may help you raise the motor, but it will also affect how the boat runs due to the setback. I've had both manual and hydraulic jackplates on a number of boats. In all of those cases, though, the transom and the motor were matched. The jackplate was used to raise the motor for additional shallow running.

richg99

If you are thinking about a jack plate, think about how much lift that it will need. The long shaft is already 5" longer, and will run 5" deeper. You're already 2" below, so to get it even, you'd need 7" of lift-minimum. Minimum because with a jack plate, you can move the motor up even higher.

Long shaft means motor weight higher, raising center of gravity. Will make boat handle worse. Stay with short shaft.

I have rode that horse. Ran a 25 long on war eagle aluminum with 15" transom!!! You can put a planer on shaft and it'll work fine!!! The Stupid factor is why do it???? The further your prop is in any given scenario promotes prop damage,skeg damage etc!!!!!!!!

Start saving some cash and buy you a nice rig you can't afford to enjoy!!!!! I have a beautiful new bass rig in carport paid for!!!!! Can't afford to pull it to lakes 52 mile one way!!!! Nor can afford $120 of gas for day of fishing!!! Stick with what you have and just enjoy your time!!!!m :mrgreen:

Looking at your rig it looks awesome!!!!! I would just add buddy bearings,fenders and sport wheels!!!!

Looking at your rig it looks awesome!!!!! I would just add buddy bearings,fenders and sport wheels!!!!

I measured my transom to keel and it is exactly 15". I measured the Johnson 25 and it appears to be almost 17" from the stern bracket to the AV plate. I'm assuming a new short shaft motor would measure 15"?

I agree that the short shaft is the way to go.

Thank you all for your replies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

" I'm assuming a new short shaft motor would measure 15"?

I would NOT assume anything as far as height. Every manufacturer seems to have their own idea of where and how much to measure. Check the actual motor out in a showroom, if you can. Two inches below the hull is not good for speed or planing. richg99

My 1436 Wards Sea King has a 15" transom. I was running a 25hp 1983 Mariner short shaft motor. I ended up using a T&H mini jacker because the motor was 2+ inches longer than the transom. The 4"set back of the mini jacker let me raise the motor an additional 2".

if you're dead set on the 30, get a CMC vertical extension. We use them for jets all the time. Gives you the correct height, and only a half inch of set back.

Latest posts