Should I try to revive this frozen motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain AJ

Reaction score
I have a 25hp 1973 Evinrude sportster. It was in my shop done in Homosassa. Matthew flooded it, it was submerged in salty water for about 6 hours. I have not had any time to do anything with it. I bought it for 80 bucks, got it running for 20, and then stored it away. At this point, do y'all think it's worth trying to revive it? Or do you think I should try to part it out. Many parts are corroded.

Images
55b249a8d872a689a5e40623e06b5578.jpg
0acc133ba3d1d91fdde93831ddf0be8a.jpg
bf0d908c9f56bc77d0b6cd037a175a60.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 687
I have a similar era 15hp Johnson that spent 6 months at the bottom of a lake 10 years ago. Still runs today. Not salt water though. I would replace the points. What else is corroded?

Did you get it running AFTER the submersion? If so, how long did you run it? May be worth it if this was the case.
If it was submerged and you did nothing....then no. Not worth trying to revive at this point. That is a fully jeweled engine who's bearing are complete junk at this point as will be the crankshaft.

If you don't get it running you can always make a Bistro table out of it like I did.

_MG_6763.jpg

:mrgreen:

Pappy said:
Did you get it running AFTER the submersion? If so, how long did you run it? May be worth it if this was the case.
If it was submerged and you did nothing....then no. Not worth trying to revive at this point. That is a fully jeweled engine who's bearing are complete junk at this point as will be the crankshaft.
Yeah it was running pretty good beforehand.

Captain AJ said:
Pappy said:
Yeah it was running pretty good beforehand.

Once again, not clear. Beforehand? Before what? The submersion? After you got it running after the submersion? Mind readers we are not! :D

Have you soaked the power head in penetrating oil? 50/50 mix of ATF & acetone works well.

If you get it to spin, then clean the points to get spark.

What do you have to lose?

Parting it out on Ebay is a long process.

Scrap metal prices are way down too.

It's value in parts will likely not be worth the effort. Like most projects the "worth it" equation depends on how much fun you'll actually have trying to get it going and the satisfaction of doing so. If you're not committed to that process being "fun" it's definitely not worth it... I've restored my share of motors and imo that one looks pretty tired....especially with the salt water story... to do it properly you will need to be able to devote a significant amount of effort into it.