Non-Shifting Problem 1955 Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain AJ

Reaction score
Hello all! My 1955 Evinrude big twin 25 has a problem. It won't shift! I have tried, but it doesn't work. It is not currently running, but I want to make sure that it isn't a huge problem before I try to fix it up. Thanks!!

https://vimeo.com/199475434
8c8a1fab4fef42dce891acbfc3cd4e10.jpg
74103057410ba7faa4feb4f0de1d53e9.jpg
e33b45e6b0b00160e99f6d4d3b21d010.jpg
d7d10ededa8c62c0168f0fc4f0003aae.jpg

Pull the gearcase and start at that point. Your post was not very clear on the issue.
Is the shift handle frozen in place? Is it moving back and forth like there is nothing attached to it?
Will the engine turn over by rotating the flywheel? If not then the gearcase may be frozen up. Water in the gearcase may be the cause.
At any rate pull the gearcase and see if the gearcase will or can be shifted by hand. If it is full of water then a full inspection will let you know whether you need a replacement before you start to get this engine back in service

Pappy said:
Pull the gearcase and start at that point. Your post was not very clear on the issue.
Is the shift handle frozen in place? Is it moving back and forth like there is nothing attached to it?
Will the engine turn over by rotating the flywheel? If not then the gearcase may be frozen up. Water in the gearcase may be the cause.
At any rate pull the gearcase and see if the gearcase will or can be shifted by hand. If it is full of water then a full inspection will let you know whether you need a replacement before you start to get this engine back in service
The motor isn't frozen up. I cannot start it, as I need a snap connector for the gas isn't there and I need to order one. The tiller handle shifter Orr won't move from the "shift" position

Doesn't this motor have stops in it that won't allow you to shift unless the throttle is indeed below the shift point ? You say that the throttle is stuck in that position ? It could very well be that it's actually still above the shift point. See if the internal levers are blocking the shift lever. Also try manually spinning the prop while trying to shift. Many times the gearing will be stopped in a position that simply will not allow shifting. Also note that you can't move the throttle past the start point unless the shift lever is engaged. Pull the hood and familiarize yourself with how these levers block the throttle and gear shift from moving at certain times..

If your new to the Classic OMC outboards here's a tutorial
on reviving a 1955 Evinrude 25.

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.htm

Good Luck with your motor.
Steve A W

Latest posts