Someone take me to school on props!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbweimar

Reaction score
With my recent jack plate purchase, I've been thinking about getting a 4 blade prop for my 1752 Weldbilt. It's powered by a 40 HP ETEC, and performs well with the factory 13.5 x 15 aluminum 3 blade prop. If I go to a 4 blade stainless prop, will I be able to run the engine higher than I would with a 3 blade?

The answer is "maybe".
In general a 4-blade will run a bit higher, come out of the hole better, use less fuel at cruise and get better speed at lower to mid-range RPM.
The 3-blade will or should produce better numbers at WOT.
All of this is contingent on the props though. My comments are based on V6 knowledge and application with propellers produced from the same manufacturer.
The 4-blade will also produce better numbers at WOT on a boat that typically takes a lot of trim to get the bow up and out of the water at speed. Blade area is to your advantage when blade area is needed.

I think you are making a mistake going to a 4 blade on that aluminum boat. You would also need to likely drop back in pitch to accommodate for the extra blade.

The main thing (in my experience) that will allow you to run the engine up higher will be cupping of the prop. The more cupping, the better the bite. Shouldn't hurt hole shot (if sized properly), and will allow you to get the maximum trim/height that you can get.

In my experience, if you are happy with the WOT rpm's in your aluminum prop, if you get an aggressively cupped stainless steel prop, you would step DOWN 1-2 sizes in pitch to make up for the rpm loss. You yourself said she runs good with your current setup. I wouldn't make a big change (3 to a 4 blade.)

And the setback of the jackplate will certainly help you with engine height!!

These are all my opinions based on my 7 years of boating/tinkering. Best investment I have made on some of my rigs is a cupped SS prop.

BUT if you are going to be in an area where you are concerned with hitting things (hence wanting to lift the engine) I would say that aluminum is cheaper and more forgiving. And I am pretty sure Hustler makes a 4 blade aluminum prop. All things to consider.

rotus623 said:
I think you are making a mistake going to a 4 blade on that aluminum boat. You would also need to likely drop back in pitch to accommodate for the extra blade.
Not necessarily ... really depends on the load carried by the hull.

I'd try that Turning Point Props calculator that's a sticky post in the Motors forum and see if they have their new line of pressed (think forged) aluminum 4-blade props for that motor. I bought one for my 60hp OMC motor and didn't lose any pitch. These props are almost as thin as a SS prop ... the results and hole shot are phenomenal! T-Point also exchanges out any props (handling fee of $30 IIRC) so you'll end up with the best prop for your load and application.

Latest posts