Need some help understanding linkages

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebug

Reaction score
Hello all. I have been in a search for a 30hp 2stroke motor under 120lbs for a month or so. It seems that I am running into many 1985-1990'ish motors that seem to have been converted from tiller to remote steer (which is what I need). I say this because it appears as though many of them have external shift mechanisms on the starboard side of the engine.

Is this an indication that it was converted from a tiller, or is that how these older motors were rigged?

Will a traditional throttle quadrant work with this external lever?(....the one that shifts into gear as you move the throttle forward) Or will it require a separate gear lever?

I have attached a photo of a sample engine with the external controls.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

Attachments

• yamadog throttle-shift.jpg
    yamadog throttle-shift.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 361
That is normal, and actually very sought after. So easy to convert back and forth. The newer motors are much more difficult to convert (so pricey that most people just sell them and buy different engines already set up). Just check compression, the color of the gear oil, and take er for a spin and then make your move!!

Latest posts