New/Improved Yamaha 25 Hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisyCutter

Reaction score
https://2017newproducts.yamahaoutboards.com/f25.php

That's the Yamaha propaganda, above.

Does anyone have an opinion?

My delimma is that I ordered a 16' aluminum deep-v utility boat. The Alumacraft is 285 lbs and rated for 25 hp. I tentatively chose to get a 20 hp Mercury because it comes with a prop and fuel tank included, and the Merc 25 doesn't. I'd have to shell out for a prop and fuel tank in addition to the extra cost, if I chose the Merc 25. Also, the Merc 25 is much bulkier and weighs more than the 20 hp.

Now I see this little Yamaha 25... It comes with an aluminum prop included.

Merc 20 hp, 2 cylinder, carb, 351cc, 115 lbs
Merc 25 hp, 3 cylinder, efi, 526cc, 157 lbs
Yam 25 hp, 2 cylinder, efi, 432cc, 125 lbs

My dealer hasn't ordered the motor yet. He said the boat takes longer than the motor. He is willing to order the Yam 25 instead of the Merc 20. I have him working out the actual price difference now.

How much more $$ would you pay for the Yam 25 over the Merc 20? Would the extra 80cc's and EFI make a drastic difference?

According to Yamaha this is a 25hp 2-stroke killer, with "portable class" dimensions. IMO that's a bold statement. If true, is it the unicorn? All the speed and power, without the smoke cloud and the stink?

P.S. I won't go so far as to say I'm brand biased, but the Daisy's race bike is a Yamaha with 170 amateur race hours on the 450cc engine. It's never been torn down or inspected. So I believe in my heart Yamaha builds a fast and reliable engine.

I'll update on price difference.

Attachments

• IMG_20161101_212924.jpg
    IMG_20161101_212924.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_20170201_150949.jpg
    IMG_20170201_150949.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 474
That new/lighter 25hp was just released, im not sure how long it will take for a dealer to get a hold of it. I think they would want to clear inventory of the older models before they start shipping the new ones.

Last month I purchased a brand new Yamaha 25 for my 16' flat bottom Jon and although the motor is a tank it greatly improved the ride of the boat. I think the added weight helped make the boat not ride as bumpy.

I paid $3350 before tax for mine, I would imagine you would pay a bit more for the lighter version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 Merc comes with a tank and a prop. Your dealer might be trying to make a little extra money. Or look at the tahatsu 25. They make the motors for Mercury and are a little cheaper to boot

Latest posts