pull start cord doesn't retract. which part to buy? help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1bad97svt

Reaction score
Hello, I recently purchased a 1969 Johnson Sea Horse 9 1/2 hp Outboard and i'm trying to get it up and running as much as I can on my own. The engine sounds like it wants to turn over but the pull cord doesn't retract. Which part do i buy to fix that? I've looked around but i'm not certain. My motor is the 9r-69s.

So far i've come up with this as my best lead. i guess i'm going to have to take it apart and see what exactly is wrong with it to know for sure.

https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1969/9R69S/POWERHEAD%20AND%20STARTER%20GROUP/parts.html

part number #46, which is like $65, so i'm just looking for a little confirmation if anyone has done this and can maybe drop their 2 cents on what common problems are and what i need to replace. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Johnny said:
have you removed and taken apart the pull start yet ?
hopefully, just the end of the recoil spring has slipped out of the socket
and nothing is actually broken - hopefully.

I've read about the end slipping out and i'm hoping that's it. No i haven't pulled that apart yet. The fuel filter cap has a crack so i couldn't get much farther in my testing without fuel spraying everywhere after priming the line. I just picked up the motor yesterday. So far i've ordered the new filter cap, gasket and slow speed adjustment knob that was missing and replaced the spark plugs. I'm going to drain the lower unit oil today also, if it even has any...

The boat shop i was going to take it to can't get me in until the 15th and i have a feeling they'd take me to the cleaners anyway, so i'm hoping to get as much done as I can and then maybe just take it in to have the carb cleaned. Pretty sure the motor has been sitting a while.

Attachments

• IMAG2335.jpg
    IMAG2335.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 755
  • IMAG2332.jpg
    IMAG2332.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 755
Is it just the two bolts that sit on each side of the spool? Or do i have to unscrew the flat head bolt that's in the center also?

Attachments

• IMAG2337.jpg
    IMAG2337.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 755
Does the spring seems to return correctly to the position you have shown in the photo where there is about a foot of extra cord dangling ? When you pull the cord does it return to that position or does it stay out all the way ?

If it returns to that position then there is probably just a spring tension adjustment that has slipped. find a nut that appears to hold the rope spool in place. If you loosen that nut you should be able to turn that spool a few turns to wind up the spring ?

Edit:
found you a movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTWdb8vhC64

Shaugh said:
Does the spring seems to return correctly to the position you have shown in the photo where there is about a foot of extra cord dangling ? When you pull the cord does it return to that position or does it stay out all the way ?

If it returns to that position then there is probably just a spring tension adjustment that has slipped. find a nut that appears to hold the rope spool in place. If you loosen that nut you should be able to turn that spool a few turns to wind up the spring ?

Edit:
found you a movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTWdb8vhC64

Thanks for the movie! i tried searching youtube earlier but thought i'd post here too.

It stays out all the way most of the time, sometimes it'll go back in.

Make sure the nut is not done up too tight. I have a 1975 Johnson 15hp motor. It will not retract unless the nut is loosened slightly. In
fact the whole mechanism is a finicky *******...... My Clymer manual only goes back to '73 or I would copy you the relevant pages.