Question about early 90's Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oomph

Reaction score
I found a re-built early 90's 40HP Evinrude (2 stroke) motor that I maybe purchasing.

Is anyone familiar with this motor? From what I understand most people say to stay away from the late 90's models, is this a good motor? Any feedback on what to look for and differences in models would be great.

It's going to be on a 16FT Xpress - Stick Steer setup.

Thanks!

I'm no motor expert but I had a 1990 Evinrude 40 on a Tracker TX17. A slight bit cold blooded on cold weather starts but to this day never had a motor start faster the balance of the day. Got in a habit of just touching the key when jumping from fishing spot to spot and would turn around and stare at the motor on the rare occasion that it didn't jump to life immediately.

Fished that boat hard in Canada, Minnesota, Lake Michigan and local rivers until it was sold in 2002. Normal maintenance on the motor and never an issue. Have had boats since then that I wished the old Evinrude 40 was on.

The guy I sold it to blew it up in 2014. I have no idea how well he kept the motor maintained but he did fish a lot.

I would buy that motor again. That said, it would be wise to weigh your decision on the responses from people that know the mechanical ins ans outs of the motor rather than just the opinion of an old river rat. Good Luck

Actually, most people (who actually know what they are talking about) do NOT say to stay away from late 90's Evinrudes.
The 40hp was the lowest hp of that group of engines. It was the best idling due to low port height and small carburetor venturi size. Since it was the lowest hp it would also benefit from the longest gearcase life. The powerhead was a well proven design by the time that engine came out. What's not to like about that?

The model that I am looking at is a 1991 - Model TE40ELEIA

Latest posts