Questions re: breaking in new 8-HP Tohatsu

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexB

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm hoping you can help me interpret these instructions for breaking in my new 8-HP Tohatsu outboard.

Taken literally, it looks to me like they recommend a 10-hour break in period concluding with 7 hours (!!!) of cruising at 3/4 throttle. (With bursts of WOT no more than once every 10 mins). That sounds a little exhausting...

Maybe the break in (or some portion thereof) can be done on dry land with a big trash can or some ear muffs and a hose?

Am I interpreting this wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Alex

717542d5a099eb44b9731ccd18ed7278.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i did my tohatsu 25 break in in a tub.some say never do it that way but i can't see how it's any different than in a lake.i ran at a mix of idle,1/4 power and 1/2 power,with a hose running in the tub to keep cool water flowing.i took it in for it's 30 hour service,but it actually had 90 hrs.which surprised me,and the tech said it was in tip top shape,replaced all fluids and checked valves.all good,so i guess doing it that way worked for me,and my motor didn't grenade.

1st ten minutes - idling and such
next hour & 50 minutes - less than 1/2 throttle, vary the speed
next hour - less than 3/4 throttle, vary speed, wot a few times
next 7 hours - 3/4 throttle or less , wot a few times

its a guideline, vary your speed, make sure you have oil pressure and the pee hole is peeing

1 good day of fishing should do it, I would not do it in a tank

Tim

Thanks, guys. The final 7 hours were what got me wondering... it makes a lot more sense as "do not exceed" 3/4 throttle. Maintaining 3/4 throttle for 7 hours would be rough...

my buddy put a brand new yamaha 60 on his cobra ski boat and we took it out for some break in time.we ended up stranded and needed to be towed in.it turned out to be a fried ecm.good thing he didn't use a tank to break it in.

Daretofish said:
Good excuse to go out for a long ride!

The good thing about always buying used, no break-in!

True!

But then again I already spent more than 10 hours looking for a good used motor, so what'ya gonna do...

It doesn't say you need to put all 7 hours on it in 1 day. But yeah my Yamaha was about the same break in, I loved doing the fishing thing with a good excuse why I wasn't home.

Latest posts