2 HP Johnson lower unit install

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daretofish

Reaction score
Hello, I just picked up a 1985 2HP Johnson, previous owner took out the water pump impeller, I just wanted to put it back in as I don't intend to use it. So the driveshaft is stuck in the powerhead and came out of the lower, now it wont go back together. It lacks about 1/2", apparently the splines aren't going in.

any ideas on getting it back together?

Thanks!

I am not a mechanic.

I know just enough about the lower half of motors to be dangerous !
I do know the gears must be assembled in a particular position or it won't work.
did you dry fit all the pieces on the table first?

what part is not cooperating ? the drive shaft or prop shaft ?

It's the driveshaft from the head to the lower unit that came out of the lower unit. It should come out of the head, or, bottom of crankshaft. So with the shaft out of the lower unit the gear looks like it could get out of alignment. I'm trying to get the lower back on, so the drive shaft has to go through water pump and housing into lower and fit into the gear, but so far it won't.

Well, after a few beers, talking to it nice, and some wiggling, it went together! thank you Johnny for the diagram, I think it helped!

Latest posts