Briggs power head swap

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkAreoliner

Reaction score
Well I'm new around here, I have lurked for a while though.
It turned out the 3 hp Jonson I bought as a "runner" had badly scored pistons and I could not get it running properly. I was given a 3.5 Briggs from a pressure washer that I figured would be a candidate for a new powerhead.
My first step was building a mounting plate that bolted to the leg.
Second step was figuring out how to improvise a keyway to lock the 7/16 lovejoy coupler onto the original shaft. I ended up drilling and tapping it to 1/4 NF and making a "set screw/keyway"

This is the complete adapter plate.

Here is the complete project. The adapter plate was pretty heavy so I cut some speed holes in it.

My to do list consists of
Throttle control
Steering arm
Replace gas cap with non vented cap and vent tank into air filter housing

I also picked up a 1974 9.5 eske that had a bad power head. I had a like new 6.5 Briggs that I wanted to use on the eske.
It also received a 7/16 lovejoy that I drilled and tapped and installed a set screw into.
Here is the mounting plate I made for it.

It's all done, aside from re installing the fuel tank and extending the exhaust.

I had to swap a cast iron flywheel from a 5 hp onto the 6.5. The aluminum flywheel was not letting it idle low. I had to file a new keyway into the 5 hp flywheel to index it properly because the ignition was not timed properly.

Pretty handy guy you are!
JW or 3hp powerheads are a dime a dozen and are, for the most part, reliable as the day is long. They will idle down, literally, to the point that you can place a finger tip on the flywheel and let it spin with the engine. If you decide you want to go that way just contact www.aomci.org and then the Webvertise section and put a feeler out for a replacement powerhead. Probably a bunch quieter than your current set up. I do like what you did though! Pretty ingenious.