Basic Tips for a New Outboard Owner?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekdiruz

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've owned a 6hp johnson for years, however I recently purchased a 2000 Johnson 9.9. I don't have much experience with upkeep or protection of these because with the 6hp I generally didn't care. The motor was cheap, and it ran well. However, with the 9.9, I spent quite a bit of money with the hopes of having it for a long time. Prior to purchasing, I checked the cylinder compression and the lower unit oil, and the PO ran it for me. He said the plugs were fogged and the fuel had stabilizer in it, and it hadn't been run in a few months, yet it started up third pull and idled down very nicely. After that, it fired up first pull.

With this motor, what should I be constantly checking? I'm meticulous with my vehicles, and with this would like to be the same. What is routine maintenance that I should do? What should I maybe do now? any advice or tips for me?

Thanks!

Use premium fuel with no ethanol. Mix your fuel carefully. Change lower unit oil yearly cause it costs almost nothing to do. Go fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny said:
Mark_Fisher said:
I'd also change the water pump impeller regularly.

what would a "regular" schedule be ?
every three years ?
every 1,000 hours ?

I change mine when it loses pressure at idle. Of course, you need to pay attention so you know what it should be peeing like with a new/good impellar.

Johnny said:
Mark_Fisher said:

every three years ?
every 1,000 hours ?

I change all of mine every year around the time I do the LU oil. But that's just because it is easy and an impeller is only $20. It is relatively cheap insurance especially on those small motors without a water pressure gauge or overheat buzzer.

rednecknproud21 said:
I second the no ethanol gas. Which is usually a higher octane than 87 which is better for small engines

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

True, no need for anything higher than 89 octane in your outboard. Ethanol free as much as possible. Most on water stations sell nothing but ethanol free.
Check gear oil a few times a year.
Pull the prop and check for fishline when you check gear oil.
Change fuel filters yearly and check for water when you check the above.
Plenty more these are the basics in addition to what has already been mentioned.

Thank you guys, I purchased this hoping I'd have it for a long while as I don't see much need/desire for a larger boat than the 1542 I have now. Therefore, gotta keep the 'ol girl running!

How long will the octane free fuel hold? I have a 3 gal tank, but don't foresee me going through the tank too fast. I use the boat year round for hunting and fishing everything from 0* to 90*F, but that isn't running the motor all day.

How long will fuel stay fresh? No way to answer that. Stored in high heat...not long. Cooler=longer.
When the fuel starts to smell like turpentine it is and has been bad for a while. Do not use it. Dispose of it and buy fresh.
You can start out with stabilizer in the fuel if so desired but stabilizer will not bring back old fuel.

Derek,

I put Fuel Stabilizer in my fuel when I buy it as a precaution. This way I don't ever have to even think about how old the fuel is. However, to date I have consistently burned my fuel with great regularity. :mrgreen:

Also as a precaution, when I trailer the boat, before I pull out of the water I always start the motor then disconnect the fuel line and allow the motor to idle until it starves of fuel. This basically drains most of the fuel from the Carb each time out.

CMOS

Johnny said:
Mark_Fisher said:

every three years ?
every 1,000 hours ?

For my Mercury 25 HP 4 stroke it is every 300 hours or 3 years, whichever comes first. For me the 300 hours will be coming first.

About fuel stabilizer, Guy where I bought my boat said to use it if the boat was going to be sitting for 3 months or more. So far the longest mine has sat is 3 weeks. Because I use a 3 gallon tank, I'm pretty much turning the fuel over so didn't think I needed it. I cannot purchase ethanol-free gaso. Based on this feedback, I may want to rethink fuel stabilizer?

Latest posts