Recoil start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nytebyte

Reaction score
Thinking on a newer 4stroke motor. I have a 9.9 2stroke and that is no problem to pull over.. Is the newer 4 strokes any harder? The one I am looking at is a 15 hp merc and there is no electric start on it.

No, they're not like the old 9.9 to start with the rope.

They're easier. At least all the ones I've messed with are. I can't say I've personally attempted to start a Merc 15 4 stroke, a lot of them have an automatic decompressor which eases starting on the manual start models.

Thanks for that info. The reason I was asking is my right shoulder is a bit weak from a old injury and I am not so sure I want to try and pull over anything that is any harder! Might have to check out that 15.

my 20hp 4 stroke merc could be pull started with one hand. for giggles my buddy said "have you tried the pull start?", no i have electric so i tried it from the captains chair (side console), i leaned back over my shoulder, barely pulled it and it light right up. no effort