35 hp prop what are you guys running?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weldorthemagnificent

Reaction score
My boat is a 16' Naden basic bench seat fishing boat and my motor is a 1983 Johnson 35 with a 10x13 prop. Boat planes quite easily and I can throttle down and stay on plane with 3 guys at over 200 lbs each. Basically I'm happy but there is that little voice in my head that says "hey you can get a couple more mph out of this thing". The prop guides list pitch up to 15. I can't imagine a boat lighter than mine being rated for 35hp so I'm curious if anyone has a similar setup and what props you guys are running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran a 25 hp 1988 Johnson on my old 1440. It was a little heavy, trolling motor, battery, casting decks. The motor had the stock 15 pitch prop. I was running 32 mph with it. Once I hit 33. It was downright scary. I can't for the life of me remember the RPMS I was turning. But I was to say it was around 5500.

Biggest thing is to have a tach. If you go to a 15 pitch and you lug the motor at below the recommended WOT rpms your just looking to wear a motor out prematurely.

With just yourself in the boat a 15 pitch may be ok. With 3 guys I have a feeling it won't turn the proper rpms

Latest posts