69 Johnson 4hp exhaust question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olefart

Reaction score
I got the 4hp suitcase Johnson from 69 running ran good and smooth after sitting all them years. first baby size outboard.
I have two 4hp from 69 one straight leg the other a suit case, I'd like to run the straight and haul the suitcase for a spare and I need weight up front anyway so I can carry it as a spare and 30lbs of weight motor or rocks I need the weight.
I need to find a good instructional video on carb cleaning and adjustments , not good at carbs myself my hearing isn't good enough to tune by sound.

Attachments

• IMG_0233.JPG
    IMG_0233.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0258.JPG
    IMG_0258.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0257.JPG
    IMG_0257.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 418
Forgive me if this sounds unreasonable but how are you going to be able to listen to a video and understand it and not hear the engine well enough to tune it?
In 1969 the high speed circuit is fixed so no tuning.
The low speed adjustment needs to be set up with the packing nut tight enough so that the low speed needle will hold any adjustment. When at an idle turn that slow speed adjustment about 1/8 turn at a time clockwise. Let the adjustment take effect for about thirty seconds or so and make another one. You should hear or feel the engine speeding up. When your adjustments have made the engine idle at is fastest and now start to make it slow then back that adjustment up around 1/4 turn or so and that should be a good baseline adjustment for you.

Thanks for the quick run down, not to argue but I have two knobs one for hi speed adjustment and a low speed one on the front panel?
I, me, couldn't notice any changes turning the adjustment knobs,may not of left it sit at a setting long enough for a change to take place? I don't have a manual yet and working with small engines was 50 yrs ago. I do have some of them wrap around the spark plug wire tachs with hour counter will use that instead of listening for the change, it's just something about carbs that has always given me trouble. I messed with my old 90 cc Honda motorbike forever and a guy had it running perfect in seconds. Some got it an others like me don't. I'll try with the tach an hope someone comes by with the knack and know how to dial it in right. I do thank you for any and all your help getting me up to speed before I am out in no mans land 50 miles from any help.

Attachments

• IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 407
I bet if you give me the model number of the engine we will find an earlier model engine shown in the pics........at any rate.....you may need to go past the stops on the adjustment to get where we need to go. Pull the knobs and insert again past the stop in the direction you are going.
The high speed/low speed is easy with a tach.
Do the high speed first. From about 1 - 1.5 turns out from a gently closed position turn clockwise until the highest rpm is attained then richen the engine back about 1/4 turn or so.
Low speed adjustment follow my instructions from above.

Latest posts