Mercury 25 hp vs 35 hp opinions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

water bouy

Reaction score
Each one made about 1986-87. The 25 is listed at 105 lbs, the 35 at 148 lbs. On a 16 ft vee jon, will the extry 10 hp compensate for the weight difference?

Also the 35 probably has a 20" shaft and my transom is about 16". I see long shafts on short transoms all the time and wonder what it affects if anything.

You certainly won't be getting the most bang for your buck with a long shaft motor on a short shaft transom - given the choice between the two I'd say go with the 25hp. I have one, they're among the lightest for their power output, very good on gas and easy to maintain. Parts are easy to come by as they were made much the same right up through the 90's

That makes a lot of sense but I was wrong about the transom. The boat I'm looking at will need a long shaft so it might be easier to convert the 35 to a tiller. It comes with cable parts which I could possibly trade to a tiller owner who wants to convert to a remote.