Lark paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putback

Reaction score
I have a 1963 Evinrude Lark IV. Completed the re build and ready for paint. Do'es anyone know the the #, or name of the original green? Power head and all under cowl paint is original and shiny perfect! outside is worn and scrached. Want to get as close to original color as possible. Any advice?

I would say remove a bolt or other painted component and bring it to an automotive paint shop that can mix aerosol cans. I literally just did this today. Bought a motor and the previous owner primed the hood without realizeing the paint code was discontinued from Suzuki.

Went to the auto paint supply house in Kankakee IL and they had hundreds of color chips to compare to. I found a nearly exact match to factory as I could have ever wanted. I buffed out the rest of the motor with polishing compound, painted the hood and ordered new decals. Those will be going on tomorrow after a 24 cure.

Attachments

• IMG_3209.JPG
    IMG_3209.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_3252.JPG
    IMG_3252.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 551
BowHunter - I also did the exact same thing with my two
vintage Johnsons...... took a part to my local NAPA store
that can now mix one and two part urethane automotive paints
either in aerosol or pint cans and the clear coat the same way.
not cheap - about the same price as the source Pappy mentioned.
that is - if you want that factory fresh look. Worth checking into.

According to the book this '62 Lark is Gun metal gray, Tempo # 6102, long gone. Took Pappy's advise. Like he said expensive, 'bout a 100 bucks. Found a spot under cowl trim in good shape. Took it to the local O'Reighlys for a scan. They got a match. Their color is "Sohobraun" for a 2015 Audi of all things. In Urethane 45 bucks a qt. Now just to show you how dumb, and lucky a man can be. Walked out the door with the cowl in hand and noticed my own truck IN THE SUN LIGHT. Held up the cowl close. Not identical, wee bit more metalic & shine on the truck.. 2015 Ram sportsman Slate Gray. Went back in, the guy compared the stats on both colors. Sure enough very slight difference in the formula, same money. I'm going with the Dodge color. If anyones interested I'm gonna post a couple other questions on the same project.

Latest posts