1980-1983 Johnson seahorse 7.5 HP Prop Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tman

Reaction score
Hi all,
I purchased a 7.5 Johnson in the middle of summer last year, from the day i bought it i always thought the prop looks like the blades were almost flattened out with the tips of the blades almost pointing to the transom of the boat. is this normal? Shouldn't the tips of the blades be the further away than the rest of the blade? i believe its a 8.5" x 9 pin Drive.

thank you,

Attachments

• Prop.jpg
    Prop.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 871
Don't know why but that's the way they're made.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

It could be the angle of the photo, but I suspect your concern is warranted. A quick test is to take off prop and on flat ground using a level, check blade tip to tip all are equal level. Then measure from ground up to each blade tip that all are equal. There could be other issues we can't see but that will give you a rough idea if new prop or rebuild in order.

I may have a spare prop just like that one at home, as I know it is an old OMC pin drive from the smaller motors.

My best guess would be that someone may have been using the motor to push a heavy load and modified the prop to a lower pitch (albeit via the 'Bubba' method ...) to get the RPMs up, so they weren't lugging the motor.

DaleH said:
I may have a spare prop just like that one at home, as I know it is an old OMC pin drive from the smaller motors.

My best guess would be that someone may have been using the motor to push a heavy load and modified the prop to a lower pitch (albeit via the 'Bubba' method ...) to get the RPMs up, so they weren't lugging the motor.

Ill take some measurements of mine tonight and post them. Do you mind taking some measurements of yours and we can compare?

do I have any other options for props? something with a little higher pitch to get more speed?