88 Mercury 5 HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

algae

Reaction score
Hi, I'm considering buying an 88 Mercury 2 stroke 5 HP (1 cylinder) motor on craigslist. It seems to run well. Anyone have experience with these? Its old so I'm wondering if they tend to hold up well.

Thanks!

Yes they are good motors made by Tohatsu were sold as Mercury Nissan Yamaha or Mariner 4/5hp lots of parts around.Try to avoid salt water motors as the cooling passages clog easily in these small motors also a tendency for the drive shaft to seize in the crank.Being so light they make good aux motors for tins or dingy/tender power.I have been looking for a longshaft version of this motor for a while but they get snapped up pretty quick in my area.Good luck m.w.

Thanks for the info! it seems like this one has passed hands a few times so I may not be able to confirm if it's been used is salt water. I will run it in a barrel of water before buying. How much water should I see it pump and through where?

Latest posts