Water pump (impeller)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HANGEYE

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Mariner 25hp (25EH). Started it up today and no stream from the "PEE" hole. Replaced the impeller and now I get intermitent stream (flow, no flow) at low speed and no stream at WOT. Did I put the impeller in backwards or could it be the thermostat. I'm hopeing it's the thermostat because that is easy to get at, the impeller is a PITA.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help.

Thermostat would be stuck open or closed, I wouldn't think it would be intermittent. Is The Water Pick Up clear with no Obstruction? Check the hose that runs from the cylinders to the pee hole. Make sure it's not obstructed.

Water pick-up is clear and the hose from the thermostat is clear. When I put it on the muffs for winterizing last fall everything worked as it should. Today I put it on the muffs again to check for any problems befor heading to the launch and realized I had a problem. Replaced the impeller (it was bad) and now I have this problem. Getting a sore spot from scratching my head on this one. I guess I'll have to take it apart again tomorrow and look things over. It's a real pain because I have to remove the starter and the carb to get at the top of the shift shaft. They did a good job of hideing it in a very tight place and my old crippled hands aren't worth much anymore. Before I go at it in the morning, I'll check back here in hopes that someone has an idea that would make this an easier project.

Thanks again
Doug

When you say it was bad what was it like? Is it possible pieces of the old impeller are blocking your flow?(my best guess)

The old impeller had two of the 6 vains pointing in the opposit direction of the others, but there were'nt any pieces missing. Could it be that when I reassembled the lower unit that the pipe that carries water from the pump (impeller) to the power head is miss alligned?

Latest posts