Learning to work on outboards

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jetech

Reaction score
Hello
I just picked up a 14' Alumacraft Jon boat. It came with a minnkota turbo 65 trolling motor but no outboard. Now I will start looking for a outboard around 15 hp.
My question is where is a good place to start learning to maintain one. I have a mechanical background but know very little about outboard engines.
Thanks for any help.

Once you obtain a motor, there are heaps of model specific information out there. If going with an older (70's-mid 90's) motor, stick with johnnyrudes or mercs just for parts and info availability. Once they are running good, all they need is regular lower unit oil changes, good fuel/oil mix, and water pump impellers periodically. Nothing to fear there, hang that sucker on the back and go fishing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I figured most small outboards were basically the same. I am hoping to find an older unit that hasn't been abused.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
Don't be afraid of age. I run a 1983 Johnson and trust it well.

Thanks for the advice. I read a good article that is linked off this forum on older engines that helped a lot.

There are web postings all over the place that are "primers" for buying an OB motor. Read them. Take the time to do so.

Also, before you go look at any motor you will want to get your own Compression tester gauge and a Spark Gap tester. Both are inexpensive but mandatory when guying a used motor. If any owner will not allow you to do these tests, - WALK. Even if you witness the motor running, it doesn't mean it's healthy. Do the compression and spark tests.

I will also agree with Weldor's comment - don't let age scare you off. I'm currently running a 1966 Johnson 9.5 on my 14' tinner, and it's a great motor. It ALWAYS starts and runs well.

Good luck, and have fun.

CMOS

Also buy a genuine factory OEM* service manual and NOT a Clymer or Seloc piece of crap "one size fits all ... and might be wrong for your motor" OM manual.

I would strongly recommend an OMC manual in whatever HP size or range you're planning on running. There's a wealth of info in there!

OEM* = Original Equipment Manufacturer. You can buy original book-type 'paper' manuals on eBay or on-line in PDF form, $20 or less ...

Thanks for all the advice. I am still looking for a motor so it may be a while before I can ask engine specific questions. Maybe if I put my wife on the oars the process of finding a engine will speed up.