Evinrude hose connection leaking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbird68

Reaction score
I got a new house to use with my 1979 evinrude 6hp motor. But today on the water I noticed it was leaking a lot. I had to wipe down my boat and transom board. Had gas and oil residue. The connector looks good and it clicks in place. I didn't see an o-ring missing in the connector. Not happy!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I have same problem, I am guessing root cause is aftermarket connector (mine is an Atwood).

Get an OEM connector, should work better. This is my plan, still in progress!

I have another connector but afraid that one will be the same.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I had a "quick disconnect" fitting between my gas tank and my engine. My engine gave me all sorts of initial starting problems.

I replaced the QD fitting with a solid barbed fitting. No leaks. No starting issues. No problems.

richg99

This is yet another example of using aftermarket "will-fit" parts.
Use an OEM fitting and chances are your issue will go away.

Now, having said that there is one more possibility.

The stud that lines up the hose fitting may be loose and partially pulled out.
This is on the engine side of the connector and is the pointed stud with no holes in it to draw fuel.
See if you can see an old mark on it where it used to be in farther or just see if you can drive it back in a little.
If it is out some you will still hear the click but the oring on the engine side may be lining up with a groove or a taper and not able to seal.

Latest posts