Fishing line wrapped between prop and housing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super5

Reaction score
Yesterday after fishing I tilted up my engine and noticed
fishing line wrapped between the prop
and the housing.
I pulled the prop off and removed the line
( looked like about 2 feet) and checked for damage.
I did not see anything that I could tell.
Is there anything else I should do.
Thanks in advance
Super 5

Depending on make and model there are some seals/gaskets/o-rings, just make sure no damage or cuts, etc to those.

this is a concern in all shaft drives in vehicles, equipment and motors.

my coworker ran over a plastic drycleaning bag on the road and it wrapped
around the driveshaft - slowly working its way into the seal of the transmission .....
it breached the seal and all the transmission fluid leaked out - completely destroying it.
so, whether it be your boat motor, car or piece of equipment, take this issue seriously.

if you run over a plastic bag on the road, make sure you see it exit in your rearview mirror.
if you don't see it - check under your vehicle at your earliest convenience.

if you see oil leaking out of a seal that has not leaked before, something is not right and
must be investigated before serious damage occurs.

Quick and simple.
Any time you find fishline between the thrust washer or prop and propshaft seal. Remove the fishline. (Pretty obvious)
Pull the lower drain screw and check the gearcase oil. If the seal was breached there will be either solid water or milky oil.
If you find either of these it is still not the end of the world. By pulling out the fishline the seal may be able to do it's job again.
Drain the gearcase and pressure check to see if you have a seal leak. No way to do this?
Re-fill with fresh oil and monitor every trip for a while. Make the first trip a short one.

What oil? Since you may have a leak and you are checking for it I would only recommend an OEM oil. They are able to protect with up to 25% water mixed in.
Obviously if you find you are still pulling water into the gearcase then take it in and have the seal replaced or a total re-seal.

Thanks for the feedback. it is time to replace gear lube
so I will do that and continue to monitor the lower
end. This is one of the best forums with great
people providing info.
Thanks,
Super 5

Latest posts