1984 evinrude 8hp will not run excellent spark good compress

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gamefisherjon

Reaction score
I got this motor for free from a good friend this motor sat 3 years outside but turns over fine. I cleaned all bug nests from the airbox and intake verified compression (75 lbs top 72 bottom) inspected the pistons from the exhaust port and pulled the head and looked some more all checked out good the spark will jump a 3/8 open air gap i think the timing is out or something (flywheel key is good)

My question is how do i set the timing on this motor, and could the cdi trigger be bad and set the timing out?

Your first clue is that it has been sitting for 3 years.
Carb is gummed up. Purchase an OEM kit for it and go through it.
If you shoot some fuel down the carb throat or in a plug hole make sure it has plenty of oil in the gas. Should let you know quickly.
An 8hp rarely jumps time.

I have cleaned the carb which was already spotless and tried premix through the carb throat and in the plug holes will not even try to fire

94 xlt 5speed 3.0v6

Obtain a flywheel puller and see if the flywheel is on the key then.
Only takes fuel, compression, and a timed spark to go.
My money is on fuel. If you read back through the myriad of posts about carb cleaning a very common statement is that "I have cleaned the carb" only to find out later that the carb needs a proper cleaning. This is not a slam but we do not know your capabilities.

I also forgot to mention when i pulled the flywheel there was grey sludge all over the inside of the flywheel and all over the mag plate

94 xlt 5speed 3.0v6

I had it running for about 10 seconds i think i need a carb kit and the correct fuel pump for the motor

94 xlt 5speed 3.0v6

The gray sludge "may" be a seal issue. Would clean the area, re-lube the mag plate and monitor.

Before you get the "correct fuel pump" go through the carburetor, clean thoroughly and install an OEM kit in it.
A fuel pump will not keep the engine from starting unless a diaphragm is ruptured and flooding the engine with fuel.
You can take the place of the fuel pump by just hand priming the system with the primer bulb. Fuel will by-pass the pump hence the comment on not needing a fuel pump to start an engine.
If you want to check and see if the pump is leaking just remove the pump and once again, hand prime with the primer bulb.
If the pump has a ruptured diaphragm gas will be visible at the engine port that supplies vacuum and pressure to the pump.

The fuel pump i have on it forces me to mount the top ignition coil only on one bolt hole. Its Definatly pumping good i ran the motor for a minute in the test barrel but the carb seemed like it needed a rebuild

94 xlt 5speed 3.0v6

I just disassembeled my carb and found my slow speed needle does not have a tip on it, would that cause it to not idle?

94 xlt 5speed 3.0v6

Gamefisherjon said:
I just disassembeled my carb and found my slow speed needle does not have a tip on it, would that cause it to not idle?

94 xlt 5speed 3.0v6
Most likely cause it to want to run rich. You will have to order that part, it will not be in the kit. Make sure it isn't broken off in the carb.

Am thinking the tip is the reason why you cannot get fuel to it. When you go through the carb pull the welch plug and see if the tip is visible there. If not you may have to pull one of the lead shot plugs and see if you can remove it. If not...replacement carb time.

If i got the welch plug out could i use compressed air pressure to force the end out? Its just the pointy part stuck in there i think

94 xlt 5speed 3.0v6

Would definitely try compressed air first. You may heat the area with a propane or butane torch prior to giving that a try. Second thing would be to try a rounded surface such as a small deep well socket or something that will fit nicely in the nozzle well and tap the tip to dislodge it. Whatever works at this point.......

Ok thanks for the suggestion i guess i will try that when i get a chance this week ill go ahead and order a new needle and an oem carb kit as well as the correct fuel pump

94 xlt 5speed 3.0v6

Gamefisherjon said:
Ok thanks for the suggestion i guess i will try that when i get a chance this week ill go ahead and order a new needle and an oem carb kit as well as the correct fuel pump

94 xlt 5speed 3.0v6
I would tear it down first and see if the tip was indeed in there and if it could be gotten out. If someone gorillaed it in there and galled it in and you can't remove it you will have to have a new carb. If you luck up and get one that has been rebuilt you may not need the kit and for sure shouldn't need the needle.

Just to update, i drilled the welch plug out and found the tip. I was able to push it back out and used green lock tite to hold it back in place. I need to order a carb kit and fuel pump before i run it again

94 xlt 5speed 3.0v6

Latest posts