Help with my new tachometer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobeb

Reaction score
I just got my new Hardline resetable tachometer in the mail today. Seems pretty easy to set up except I'm confused on what setting to use and where exactly to wrap the single wire. Do I wrap right before the boot of the spark plug or in another area? Also I have no idea what setting to put it on so here is what I have.

1P1R-1P2R-2P1R.

THE OUTBOARD IS 20HP 4 STROKE SUZUKI. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

You can wrap that signal wire anywhere along the wire between the coil and spark plug boot.

Not sure of spark config that motor uses but since you know the ball park on idle speed only one setting will reflect the correct setting. It is real easy to change so if no one really knows...take a guess..if wrong it will be self evident. It probably will be wasted spark setup so I'd go 1p1r.

Yeah,it's set at the 1P1R from the factory so I would guess that's it. I've read on some other forums where it would read great at idle then the wot on some of the tachs were maxing out at like 2750 rpms at wot so it would work correct on the one setting at idle then they had to switch over to a different setting going wot but that was also on a tiny tach which is similar I would assume. The thing I love about this tach is it's resetable which is nice. Because down the road I may upgrade to a new 25hp 4 stroke suzuki or yamaha so that will come in handy . I guess I will find out here soon how the tach works.

While they work really well, they seem to not work right if their lead touches any bare metal on the motor which could trace back to an engine ground. I wrap mine around the lead for the top plug and then coil it around the fuel line inside the cowl and I like to use the adhesive mount to attach them onto the tiller handle...trying to allow it to only contact non-metallics or painted metal if it is necessary.

Latest posts