30 Mariner 1985

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

water bouy

Reaction score
This weekend I finally found a long shaft electric start 30 hp tiller but it was converted from remote and a start switch is rigged on a cable outside the cowl. I'd like to put a start switch on the cowl but not sure where it should go. I believe this pic off the internet shows the start button on the far right which is where the kill switch is on mine. Pics are a '76 model.

EIexxTth.jpg

Do I need to move the kill switch to the side which is what the red cable leads to in this pic ?

HI4lJ7Mh.jpg

Wow, that looks like the ticket nowgrn4. Have you got a pic of one on a tiller ?

Called em and found the momentary contact switch is wp66-02, same size and price.

It's 40 miles but I took it to the mechanic who did a tiller handle conversion last year. After looking at it awhile he popped out a rubber bushing on the right and fit a push button with a rubber boot so it looks more like factory. He checked the compression which was good and is going to give it a new impeller too. Talking motors he said he preferred Mariners over Merc because they're made by Yamaha. The repair guy who sold me the 25 XD last year said he prefers Mercs. Ford / Chevy I guess.

He has a 2 stroke 40 Johnson he said he'd sell me since my boat is rated for it but they weigh 80 more lbs.

water bouy said:
It's 40 miles but I took it to the mechanic who did a tiller handle conversion last year. After looking at it awhile he popped out a rubber bushing on the right and fit a push button with a rubber boot so it looks more like factory. He checked the compression which was good and is going to give it a new impeller too. Talking motors he said he preferred Mariners over Merc because they're made by Yamaha. The repair guy who sold me the 25 XD last year said he prefers Mercs. Ford / Chevy I guess.

He has a 2 stroke 40 Johnson he said he'd sell me since my boat is rated for it but they weigh 80 more lbs.
Quite frankly I think you would be seriously disappointed between that 30 and a 40 OMC performance wise if they are remotely close to the same age.

You mean disappointed in the 40? It seems like a lot of weight for 10 more horses to push. I'm still keeping an eye peeled for a 2 stroke 35hp which were only 120 lbs or so.

I currently have a 30hp Mariner (87) and had a 40hp Suzuki prior. Performance wise the 40hp was a lot better, quicker to plane, faster... but end of the season, when I carried it to the basement, the 30hp rules.

What kind of boat is your 30 on? Those older 2 stroke tiller electric starts are getting hard to find around here. Check out this one on ebay. I expect someone will pay $2500.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30-hp-EVINRUDE-TILLER-Outboard-boat-motor-ELECTRIC-START-TWO-STROKE-30hp-25-35-/172660562509?hash=item28335f1a4d:g:gswAAOSwrhBZC8JQ&vxp=mtr

water bouy said:
You mean disappointed in the 40? It seems like a lot of weight for 10 more horses to push. I'm still keeping an eye peeled for a 2 stroke 35hp which were only 120 lbs or so.
Yes, the OMCs of that era are very dependable and will liver forever. Pretty darn easy to work on, but not exactly top performers per H.P.

water bouy said:
What kind of boat is your 30 on? Those older 2 stroke tiller electric starts are getting hard to find around here. Check out this one on ebay. I expect someone will pay $2500.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30-hp-EVINRUDE-TILLER-Outboard-boat-motor-ELECTRIC-START-TWO-STROKE-30hp-25-35-/172660562509?hash=item28335f1a4d:g:gswAAOSwrhBZC8JQ&vxp=mtr
C1652V Crestliner(rated 35tiller 60console)...has a jet tunnel. With a good (non dinged)prop (13pitch) it will go around 29mph. I mostly use a 11 pitch though, 27ish mph. The 11 planes real fast and our lakes are small, don't need too much speed...mostly use the electric anyways.

Latest posts