Honda 15hp 4-stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onthewater102

Reaction score
I've got an opportunity to pick one of these up on the cheap - any idea what one might be worth. It is in good looking condition - but the owner doesn't know if it still runs as it's been sitting for several years. I didn't take a picture of it so I'm not exactly sure of what year it is but it is the model shown in the picture below in similar if not better shape:

gVEyl7w.jpg

I bet that would be a jem. I luv honda products if taken care of can't kill them.

Took a closer look at it tonight with money in my back pocket - the top cowl cover has a crack and the skeg is missing a chunk oddly on the trailing side as if someone had cut the back 1/4" of it off between the skeg and the prop - not on the leading edge at all. No damage to the prop either, just wear around the edges. No gas tank, but everything looked to be in good shape, so I didn't pass on it. Not sure if I'm going to fix it up to sell or hold it for a future project.

Well a little fiberglass work and paint and decals will cure the top. Some TIG welding a little grinding then some sanding and painting will cure the issues on the back side of the skeg if you are wanting it back close to perfect. Neither sound as if it would cause problems if you are just wanting it for utility purposes.

I just bought an 8hp of the same vintage. When I went to look at it I took my own fuel tank with Honda fitting, a motor stand that fits in my trailer hitch and a few buckets of water to run it in. Mine was scratched up a bit, the motor had definitely been apart previously and the lower unit had a welded section just behind the water pump impeller. I wouldn't have bought it based on appearance except I was able to run it right there and made sure it was good. No knocks or ticks, started first pull after priming, idled good, oil was clean, made good compression, most of all was the lack of fear by the owner that I brought the equipment needed to run it. I have 4 hours wot run time on it now and still strong. If it was going to expire it would've done so by now.

Latest posts